The Brookfield Town House was built in the first half of the 1820s. It received a small addition on the front side (Northside) in 1875-1876, and ultimately a bell tower and a Victorian interior with a vaulted ceiling around 1894. Today, the Churchill School is attached to the backside (Southside). When first erected, the Town House was used for religious services. With the changes in the 1870s, the building was secularized, and services moved elsewhere. It 1893, one of the two added rooms became the Brookfield Town Library, lasting till 1941, when the room was turned into a kitchen.
Previous to the Garlands, it was built for and lived in by one of the Hackett spinster sisters. It is currently known as the Prior-Belknap Farm, reflecting its 20th century ownership.
This 1880s photograph is of the Walter Sanborn Homestead, which still stands on Sanborn Road.
One of eight single room schoolhouses in Brookfield, the Hackett School House still sits on Lyford Road. It is now a private residence, and was sold by the town around 1932. This photo records the “scholars” and their teacher circa 1880.
A wonderful photo of the exterior of the Hackett Schoolhouse, taken before 1920.
The interior of the Hackett one room schoolhouse, photographed before 1920, was typical of most one room schoolhouses.
This photo was taken around 1910, and shows the teacher (#5) and her students at the Hackett School, on Lyford Road.
At the foot of Mountain Road, on the left, the Churchill Homestead, now also known as Still Meadow Farm, has stood for many years. Across the street, the Churchill Schoolhouse and woodshed, built in 1802, stood until the mid 1960s, when it was moved to Brookfield Corner and attached to the Town House.
Robert Lincoln Chamberlain, and his wife, Gertrude Hanson Chamberlain, lived in Brookfield Corner, in a house that still stands. Robert was the Town Clerk of Brookfield for many years, before moving to Wolfeboro Falls in the early 20th century. This photo appears to be circa 1890s, probably taken in their parlor.
This photo from 1919 is labeled on the back: “Old Store” and “Cate”. This is probably a picture of a school class and their teacher standing at the rear, on an outing. Members of the Cate family have lived in Brookfield for over 200 years.
The March, 1950 cover photo for the NH Farm Bureau News featured two students at the Churchill School taking a healthy lunch at their desks in the schoolhouse. Theodore McBrien and Patsy Welch represented the other students of Brookfield well. Several years later, this single room schoolhouse was closed by the town.
The Moose Mountain Ski Area operated in Brookfield from the 1960s into the mid 1980s, when it closed. This trail map was found on the back of the lodge, facing the trails. The mountain was about 1600 feet in height.